View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 10:21 PM

35 years hunting,best guess be 100+/- big game animals(deer,moose,bear,elk in that order)....I'd guess 70% of those taken with 30-06(all but 3 with Rem 760 pump)....small handful of deer taken with other centerfires including another 30-06 bolt that I picked up along the way,and the rest with compound bows,shotguns,BP cap and flintlocks.....I guess you could say I like my ol' ought-six pump,lol.
That said,new found interest in LR shooting and LR hunting to a lesser extent,(I'd like to build skill and confidence to ring 1000 yard gongs 1st round coldbore and 700yd elk/deer?)...been bit by the magnumitus bug....settled on the .300WSM for the cartridge,still deciding on my perfect rifle?
At the end of the day,in 35 years and 100 animals I've attempted exactly 3 shots over 300 yards with longest being 350ish,2 deer and a moose,held on the spine and smoked em all dead centre chest with the '06.
Do I need a magnum 700 yard elk thumper?Hell no,I just want one and will likely never "have to" take a 500+ yard shot,in fact,I'd have to purposely set out to do so,abondoning my preferred style and habitat of big woods stillhunting for more open country glassing.I'm sure I could spend the rest of my days in ignorant bliss,filling the freezer with the ol'06.....but if I get good enough and confident enough at this LR gong ringing,I spose live targets at 70% distance isn't unthinkable?