View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Like most people, I don't like being called a racist. That's not on me, it's on you for doing it.

If we are "not stuck with treaties", why do we keep following their provisions?

You missed my point. You cannot get anywhere by telling someone that what they hold to be right and true is actually wrong. You have no more right to dictate to me what is right than I have to dictate to you. It is possible to enter into a debate or discussion about it, but neither of us is the final arbiter.

We don't live in a world where things are decided by what is right or wrong. However, we can argue about the legality of something and, if necessary, resort to the courts to settle the argument.

The Saskatchewan solution was reached through discussion and negotiation, not court action. That's what I think should be happening in Nova Scotia and BC.

For better or worse, we are stuck with treaties. We are stuck with different views of right vs wrong, of what is ethical and what is not, with different ideas about common sense.

Another example: some Indigenous groups are objecting to the Saskatchewan laws about trespass interfering with their hunting rights. I sincerely hope that no court in the land gives any credence to this. Private property rights are important. So are treaty rights to hunt for food. In the northern one-third, or more, of the province that is not an issue. It wasn't an issue when the treaties were signed but it is now. However the matter is settled, it won't be by someone telling the farmers and ranchers they are wrong nor telling the Indigenous groups they are wrong.

I may or may not agree with the interpretations being made by any Indigenous group. But that doesn't matter. What does matter is how we solve the issues under the existing legal system. Unless we change the system.
Do you or do you not support laws allowing someone special rights because of their race?

There are only two answers I’ll accept to this question, yes I do or no I do not. I don’t want to hear about you supporting law in general, I’m asking about a specific question about law and whether you agree with it. There are millions of laws, some I agree with, some I don’t.