Thread: 270 win vs elk
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 08:27 PM

The first pressure sign is velocity the second, people saying no pressure sign in there post. I haven’t noticed any traditional pressure signs until about 10k over but not seeing it dosn’t mean it’s not there. How do I check for pressure? Start low work up measure speed with labradar put into quick load with rifle specific data adjust variables to match atmospheric and fps read computer simulated data. Is it 100% perfect no, But it’s better than going grossly over max and claiming no pressure because the ejector and extractor aren’t clearly stamped onto the brass. Over the years I’ve gotten tired of having no pressure signs and no brass life and a stream of barrels being ordered to replace burnt pipes that “had no pressure signs” now I stay below the red line if you need that 150-fps that bad just buy the next rifle up that’s why they made them.

The 270 is a fine cartridge for elk it’s very adaptable and reliable I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on elk or moose I prefer the 130’s in a 270 for an all around load.

Last edited by Dubious; 10-01-2020 at 08:45 PM.