Thread: Scotch
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 PM

I keep hearing great things about this Tomatin, and it is one I have not gotten around to yet. I think I may have to put it on the short list.

I did try the 25 year old Highland Park for my birthday, had a nice solid two finger dram..... It was amazing in a very complex way. Very much a Highland Park, but there was so much going on, it is a very robust dram. The nose was a fairly typical smoke & peat, but there were strange undercurrents of anise and almost a coal tar bite to it....strange. I found it almost overpowering initially on the palate, and had to add a few drops of water and let it breathe for about ten minutes to open it up. That helped tame it, and brought out some subtle undertones, spicey notes of anise and cardamom, but also honey and chocolate. It is actually one of the most difficult to decypher of any whisky I have had, maybe I was overthinking it? Anyway, this in no way means I didn't enjoy it, because I did. Very much. I think I'm going to save it for my 'Birthday' dram for the next few years, and see if I can decipher it...I took notes, and put them in the box (which probably cost $50 but is quite nice)....and look forward to the next dram. This should give me something else to live for, at least for the next ten years or so! This is the first whisky or spirit ever to receive a score of 100/100....

http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/20...h-whisky-news/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-26-2015 at 09:21 PM.