Thread: The elderly
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 11:45 AM
Suspended User

Default From the inside

My wife works in a senior's home. You can imagine the loneliness, but she lives it. Several have already given up. Couple have died. They stop eating, brushing their hair, and some are already trying suicide. Others who are able bodied are trapped inside, unable to go for a drive or visit their spouse in other homes.

What it is doing to the employees? Well they live in fear. Fear of taking the virus into the building, and fear of bringing it home if it does. Fear of simply giving them a hug. I think the wife's worse time was when her grandfather substitute passed away and she couldn't hug him.
I'm guessing that many don't know that some of your elders become substitutes for our lacking family. Some remind us of our passed elders, some are what we wish we had in our life. My 7 year old daughter writes the odd little note with a picture to the one who fills that need for her. Strange how much those notes mean to Mary, someone my child has only gotten to know her from time talking to her in the parking lot.
I was working maintenance in an active living residence until I got crippled up. There were people living there that never seen family in the good times. The loneliness in homes is chronic. It never surprised me how many family would crawl out of the shadows when the elder died. It's like they just want to shove them away so they don't have to watch the decline.

My wife now sends me to the stores, because her anxiety has gotten terrible. All it takes is someone to cough and she's ready to run. She has been unable to enjoy going to spend my money, and wander around stores.

And here's the part that has been a total **** off. Her main way of de-stressing, is to enjoy the wilderness. This has been one of the things we always have done. We have spent more days wandering the bushes than most. I grew up living in the bush country. No one lived west of me in Alberta., Yet it's too dangerous to do in some minds.
For 2 months now certain people have been loudly spouting their beliefs that she should stay home and lock herself in. You will.... You know the crap that has been said. She and her co-workers have been slowly fighting for their sanity, and having people tell her she's bad. We have been isolated since this virus hit Canada, not since we were told to. During the start of the outbreak, I was going to Calgary every week for appointments and that was ok but fishing was bad.
Feel for the workers as well as the elders. Feel for the families of the workers who have to hold them while they cry. Most of all think of who's holding the elders hands while THEY cry.