View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
A good thought but, it wouldn't work for the same reason that they pulled Auxiliary Constables from going on patrol with regular members (liability). Also, who wants to go into a dangerous situation for free? I can't see the RCMP arming civilians to assist them on routine matters.
It's not up to the RCMP. It would fall under the Alberta Solicitor General. Basically all it would take is for the volunteers to be sworn in as peace officers after passing their training.

As for pay, I will say, two weeks ago one of my neighbors had a gun pulled on them as they tried to stop a thief in their yard. A couple days ago 3 of my neighbors were out in the early morning chasing thieves out of their yards with firearms. The RCMP were over an hour away at the time. We also just had an armed robbery in town.

So for me personally I'd volunteer, because I know just having the option will be a BIG deterrent to crime in rural communities. I also dont want to see any of my neighbors get hurt, or end up going to jail because they shot a criminal. I work nights as well, and would like the option in the community in case my wife and kids are ever in trouble.

I think many rural residents would agree with me, but I'm not sure. So thats why I asked here, Im willing to start petitioning the government for it. If there is enough support from other rural residents.