View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 09:08 AM

There’s no right or wrong in such a topic.
Every situation will be different.

Have you ever tracked a wounded bear? If you have ever had this mis fortune, I’ll guarantee that you’ll be loaded and cocked, at the full ready.

Have you ever still hunted whitetail in the spruce bottoms? If you ever have, you’d be very well served to be again at the full ready, all cocked and locked.

If you’ve ever done pheasant’s without a dog(slow methodical elliptical circles, walking and stopping)[and no, this is a very lousy hunt, trust me I’ve been there]
Again loaded cocked and at the full ready.

See the underlying premise! “At the full ready” that’s two hands on the firearm, fully alert, maintaining situational awareness, by this very action you are in full control of your muzzle direction, you’d know where others in your hunting party are, and again exercise disciplined muzzle control. Of course it’s loaded and cocked, safety on, or perhaps the slide on a pump action at half retracted, again two hands, and your head on a swivel situations here. And your finger off the trigger!

If your half stepping and slinging your rifle over your shoulder, or even just making a move through the under brush or on a trail as a means of going from A to B what’s the point of being locked and loaded?

Two totally different scenarios, two totally different ways of handling the situation.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 04-14-2018 at 09:15 AM.