View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

I just don't think the 7mm 08 is the best bet. What are your thoughts on that guys?

From my experience with over 50 buffalo, I would be absolutely confident with an accurate shooter using the 7mm-08 over any caliber that a person is hesitant to shoot.

A 140-160 grain bullet is fine. What is most important is shot placement. Photo bucket has my pictures hostage that I would like to share on this topic, we'll see if I can dig them out.

Spend some time with your daughter looking at bison, and the skeletal/organ structure. The spine is lower than most think, along with a huge gut that is more forward than our other critters. A common mistake is to shoot for the cape hairline margin when the front leg is back, this will result in a liver or gut shot. Shooting mid height will hit the top of the lungs.

It is time to shoot when the animal is broadside and the near leg is forward. Place the bullet LOW and Forward tight behind the elbow. Take out the heart.
If he shudders, the heart is broken.

Bulls tend to take time to die regardless of what they are hit with. Be patient and let them fall.

Then get it unzipped! These things gas up real fast.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."