Thread: Re-barrel
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
Good luck with that. Ordered a 20BR barrel from them last year. following is my experience.

1. Cerakote finish on my old barrel is damaged, due to they heated it up to remove it. (just a few inches ahead of the receiver, see attached pic) moreover, they didn't tell me, until I found it out, and asked them. Karl told me he can't remove the old barrel, so they used some torque thingy to heat it up... Not saying I'm better than a reputation gunsmith, but I do can swap this rifle's barrel in my garage within 10 minutes. did it couple times. Maybe they just didn't know this rifle too much. If they can let me know in the first place, I can remove it without any damaged made.

2. The new barrel didn't chamber in the spec I wanted. I wrote the spec down and gave it to Mike, but they still use a different reamer, without let me know in advance. When I picked it up on their store, it's already chambered. which also caused me lots of pain to reloading, like the brasses I pre-prepared can't be used anymore, and my le wilson seater die doesn't fit this spec very well.

3. When I backed to home on the day I picked it up, I found the riflings in my new barrel has faulty(some rifling is even missing!!!), by using lyman borescope. I didn't go back to KS arm to ask them to return, which I should. Anyway, I just went to range to break in. I met a friend there, he said KS arm is good, if they did something wrong, they'll correct it. So I went back to KS Arm, but both Karl and Mike refused, Karl even said its caused by my clean rod. I said I'm using tipton rod, brass jag, copper brush, which will not damage a steel rifling. If you know me or saw some of my target papers, you know at least I know how to clean a rifle properly. Karl became ridicious, said you know how to clean a barrel, but you don't know how to clean this barrel. WTF.

I also mentioned I can show them the borescope pics I took from the day I picked it up. Mike said they don't want to see it, and even said "it's your word against mine". What kind of people they are!

KS Arm got good reputation, and many people in this forum are happy with them, recommend them. Obviously, I'm not one of them. Personally, I supported local business and really want a good gunsmith in the city, but they just didn't work for me. What's worse is, After I put the old barrel on, I feel this rifle doesn't shoot as good as before, maybe caused by the heated up they did, or some other thing they did without tell me, maybe just i feel wrong, I have no idea. It's an accuracy international rifle, not cheap, the best I can afford. always hope to shoot a 5x5 1/4 moa target paper with this baby, now it's just a dream for me
Don't feel bad you are not the only one. They fogure they know it all. Far from the truth sad to say.