View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschafer View Post
I have 100 new virgin .338 win mag brass... bag of Winchester and bag of Hornady... both brands are short from case head to shoulder when compared to once fired from my rifle.... Win is shortest, approx 0.016-0.018" on average....

I've posted before regarding this brass and it was suggested to first create a false shoulder with a "tapered expander" of size approx .350", then, neck size back to .338 and allow case to headspace on shoulder for first shot.... (I understand this).

My question is: which brand "stem and tapered expander" do I purchase? My FL resizing die is a RCBS FL standard... One can see all sorts of different shaped expanders at Brownells, but I never know if the stem and threads are compatible with my RCBS die....A link to an appropriate "tapered expander"/ stem would be greatly appreciated... Still new to reloading, some of this is not yet second nature to me.. thanks in advance....

Belted magnum brass will benefit from neck sizing after firing to fit your chamber, the brass will now headspace on the shoulder as well as the belt instead of the belt alone.