View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
. Energy definitely kills. You ever hear of hydrostatic shock? central nervous system? If we go by your theory, we'd all be shooting FMJ bullets. If your bullet blows up on a shoulder you are using too light of a bullet for that animal. That's it. The "long range program" mentioned, Applied Ballistics, is the most scientifically based shooting program in the world. This isn't an infomercial. Litz uses berger because of their superiority in the long range game. They also kill. Berger developed their 'target' bullet just for that, extreme accuracy and performance on paper at long ranges. It was these competition shooters who also hunted that started trying them on animals. Mainly elk at first. It was these well trained shooters who explained to berger that their bullets are fine hunting bullets. I would caution the use of berger bullets for guys who cant shoot very well, who have trouble making first round hits due to poor equipment, and/or don't wait for the right moment to take a shot. An Animal that drops on the spot is much prefered to an animal that runs but leaves a good blood trail. Better meat quality overall. Fortunately, berger bullets are mostly reserved to the reloaders and they have more time behind the gun and know what they are capable of.
How can you not understand how an expanding bullet making a larger wound channel, greatly increases the rate of blood loss? FMJ bullets make small wound channels, which results in far slower blood loss, which is why they aren't legal for use on big game in Alberta. I can only assume that you simply can't comprehend how bullet construction is more important than bullet weight, or you wouldn't be spouting such nonsense about bullet weight. As for Berger bullets mostly being reserved for handloaders, that is total B.S., there are multiple companies providing factory loads using Berger bullets, to sell to the gullible people that watch too much Wild TV. I personally stood a few feet from one of those people that had a heavy barreled rifle, with a Huskemaw scope, with turrets for multiple temperatures, and his HSM ammunition with Berger bullets , as he plopped prone to shoot a moose at 50 yards. When he lay prone to use his bipod, he couldn't see the moose, because of the slope. I offered him my trigger sticks tripod, but he refused, and the moose ran off. Later that day we were again 50 yards from another moose, and four shots later, the moose finally fell 500 yards later, a few feet from making it to the trees. I watched another person sight in his new Huskemaw scope with his HSM loads with Berger bullets, do a 25 yard sight in then declare to his friend that he was food to 800 yards. His friend asked why he didn't confirm the point of impact at longer distances, and he replied ' why waste more expensive ammunition , I have used the ballistic calculator to calculate the trajectory to 800 yards". I watched two other people with their Huskemaw scopes and Berger loads, and wind meters walk shots into clays at 500 meters, because their calculations didn't put them on target. Far too many try to replace trigger time with specialized gear.