View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Soon as you say Government, the price skyrockets. Not without reason at times, their convoluted specs and ways of doing things drive cost.

Grizz
Not necessarily true. Many of my jobs are government related, and bids can be pretty competitive. Most departments that I have experience with are on a budget and will shop around.

One thing that drives me insane is that they spec the cheapest materials, but then spend a fortune maintaining them. I did a price comparison with supply, install and maintain over a 15 year period. Option A cost $150,000 to supply and install, but over the 15 year period total cost was $1.2m. Option B cost $450,000 to supply and install, but after 15 years that number only increased to $650,000. They went with Option A, because the initial cost of Option B was too high.

There is no long term accountability, what I see happening is the people in charge of budgeting on the department level are 3-5 years away from retiring so any long term benefit is trumped by low initial cost.

Last edited by Newview01; 12-19-2016 at 10:01 PM.