Thread: Cold lake
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 02:17 PM

Default Cold Lake

I'm not from Cold Lake, but I love to fish it. Been going 2-6 times per year since 2013. I myself have never reeled in a keeper and I've caught HUNDREDS! I have caught several 70-74cm mind you and other people on my boat have caught the odd keeper. I'd say we catch about one keeper size fish per year on average and we catch one keeper for every 300 lakers caught. I have had several 50-100+ fish days without a single keeper. I haven't noticed any change since 2013. You'd think all those just under legal would eventually turn into keepers, but not from what I've seen. I'm not even sure what the management strategy is. Seems to me there are TONS of lakers in that lake. Would also seem to me the lake could handle some smaller better eaters being retained. If there is concern about sustainability, maybe do a draw system just like the walleye. Just thinking out loud. I don't think that is the problem though. Sometimes my sonar has so many darn fish on the screen that it gives me a false depth reading! Thinks the school of fish is bottom! Not even making that up. Most of the time my sonar is lit up like a Christmas tree. I wonder if there are more lakers than bait fish. I know I read a lot on this forum about how fat the lakers there are, but I'm pretty sure that most people are mistaking this with the air in their bellies. The one keeper we got this year was 75.1cm and it was super skinny. It was all head. Looked like how the walleye used to look in Calling Lake. I'm attaching a couple pics to go along with my story. Anyway, this is just my two cents. One mans lowly experience. And for the record, still one of my absolute favourite lakes to fish in Alberta! But I throw enough money into the resource it would just be nice to occasionally throw one into the smoker!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Lake sonar.jpg (44.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg skinny laker.jpg (33.0 KB, 92 views)