View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I want something that looks good but not overly concerned about super long term durability.

If it's an upgrade to sell it get granite. I think quartz is actually superior. Much stronger, more durable, less upkeep, and looks as good. We just put it in our kitchen. HOWEVER, granite is more known to home buyers and has more prestige to the uninformed, so that's what I'd get to move the house. We put granite in the condo we own in Edmonton and will probably sell some time, for that reason.

And get a traditional, conservative pattern, not something unique that you happen to love. You need it to appeal to the widest swath of people possible.

Note about discount granite. You can get granite from China that is much cheaper than from the usual places. It's cheaper because it's thinner than standard granite. It's OK if you are only looking to move the house. The drawback is that when you order it, that's when they put the order in to China, so it takes a really long time to arrive. Ours took like 6 months! That timeline may not fit your move plans. We got ours from Granite Direct. We actually got our high quality quartz through Costco (though they really just send you to a company they have a deal with. You don't actually deal with Costco after the initial contact)

Last edited by Okotokian; 02-22-2013 at 09:27 AM.