View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's so obvious, that I can't believe that you can't see it. The muzzle pressure is the pressure at the muzzle, as is shown on the graph.The red curve is showing just over 10,000psi at the muzzle, the blue curve shows close to 30,000 psi at the muzzle, yet both curves result in the same velocity. If the pressure at the muzzle was a true indicator of velocity, then the blue curve would produce more than twice as much velocity as the red curve. It doesn't get any simpler than that. What is similar in both curves, is the area under the curve, but the muzzle pressure most certainly is not even close to being the same.

The blue line,( charge wt.powder and barrel length unknown) certainly appears to be the best one to use in my books. Still can't see why the blue pressure curve, in itself, is not an accurate way to measure velocity.
If the barrel length on that chart were given, it would be much simpler to determine your position as the pressure curve on the blue line is not completed.

As stated in the graphs disclaimer , that is not a real test, just an exaggerated example. I've seen enough of those.