Thread: Over Trapping
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
I also believe that desease has a much greater impact on coyote population than trapping ever will. When trapping pressure is high here and were keeping numbers at a sustainable number there are practically no desease issues at all.

There is no doubt in my mind that at least with Coyote and Beaver disease has way more potentual to wipe out or devastate a population then does any effort by man.

I also agree with those who say that Coyote populations can depend a lot on local conditions.
But all animals I've been around will move and sometimes move incredible distances seeking better conditions or better opportunities.

I read a paper on a study done on Lynx in the Yukon back in the 1980s. One of their collared Lynx wound up in a trappers set east of Fort McMurray.

I have no doubt a Coyote could move twice that distance in half the time and I would think they would be ten times as likely to do so.

I can see a local population being low, I just can't see it staying that way for any length of time for any reason other then that it simply isn't good Coyote territory.

If you have lots of mixed farms, lots of terrain features and vegetation types, I'd bet that you will have lots of Coyote no matter what you do.
Drought and disease not-with-standing.

George Bernard Shaw