View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I do think they would. I joined the UCP because I liked one of the candidates for my riding so I was invited to join a bunch of conference calls where people could ask Kenny questions in the lead up to the provincial election. Things like the school GSAs came up EVRY SINGLE TIME. Watch the video of McIvor begging people at the first UCP AGM to drop the GSA issue from the top of the platform. They can’t help themselves.

Even though my preferred candidate managed to get the nomination at the last minute come the election I couldn’t do it. I still like him but the corrupt practices the party leadership indulged in are inconsistent with my ethics and the party rank and file behave like troglodytes when Kenny blows his little whistle. I was so hopeful at first.... this has been a significant disappointment.

My family settled here before it was Alberta and your idea that we should be some sort of conservative utopia bothers me. I don’t really care how the government of the day aligns itself as long as it provides pragmatic, effective leadership. Wildly polarized team first politics undermines that and directly enables the kind of useless, corrupt posturing the current bunch seems to think is good governance. Is it really this crewor the NDP? If this is the best we have how do you build out a national government? The idea that the province could stand as its own nation in this situation is hilarious.
You realize that a GSA has zero to do with gay marriage rights don’t you? The idea of the GSA is one that I don’t necessarily agree with either. It’s not that I am against some form of aid to kids that need help; not at all. It’s the way the GSA’a are structured now I believe need changes for sure. The road to hell is paved with what again? My biggest problem with it is that parents should be aware that their child has joined. If there is an actual threat of physical violence there are many, many other government depts that rectify that already. Regardless, even if the UCP delegates want to discuss it, it sounds like the party already is done with it and wanted nothing to do with it; and I think the average albertans stopped caring about 15 years ago anyways. There’s no way marriage rights change.

I don’t think we should be a conservative utopia. Most of Canada was built on Christian conservative values with social community values added. Over time Alberta was the last bastion of these ideas and even now that is disappearing. Hard individual work broke the ground. You helped your neighbour in need and you spent what you had not what you might make; let alone a percentage beyond your best possible income. People used to mind their own business and you were free to do as you please.