Thread: Buying or tying
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Banned

Default online shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
Way cheaper I find to tie my own flies.
Maybe. Its tough to compare considering many online fly shops sell their flies for 50 cents to a dollar. Additionally, by tying your own, you spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on materials and equipment, eventually filling a small room with the stuff. I speak from experience.
That said, however, tying your own flies is a very enjoyable passtime.

The flies I tie aren't always all perfect looking like the ones in the store (they don't have to be), but I think the fish actually like them better because they are a bit more scraggly looking. I have way better luck fishing with flies I tie myself. You can get creative and tie basically anything you think looks like a bug or insect the fish might go for. 50% of all my flies are just my own creation and they work really well.
The fish don't like them better because they are a bit more scraggly looking. They work cuz those are the ones you're using.

Also I find the flies I tie myself to be more durable than the ones I buy in the store.
They're more durable maybe because you goop them up with Zap A Gap and put on a lot of wraps so they will be more durable. Also a reason they are less than perfect looking.