View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 12:17 PM
Banned

You poor individuals. The ATA has already made the agreement with AEP and you think that you have a say in anything? Just like they did with requesting a mandatory Snaring course, only after the cat is out of the bag do they come clean to inform the membership of what they've done. NOW they say that everyone will be consulted and everything will be open an transparent AFTER they've already made the agreement. Any say that you think that you have is merely an illusion. Being told to just sit there and not make waves should be your first clue.

I've heard that a long, long time ago, before the ATA became a business and their main focus became generating revenue, there were many really great people on the executive that genuinely cared about Trappers. Unfortunately, they became frustrated with the business path that Gordy was taking the ATA and left. It was go along with everything or get out. That leaves us where we are today, with an association that's more interested in being a business than it is an advocate for Trappers.

As far as me attending any ATA meetings, I do not support the ATA and I'm not a member. I once was until three things happened one right after the other. First, because I wasn't getting any information from the ATA about anything other than picnics and raffles, I submitted a FOIP for the minutes to ATA/AEP meetings. That's where I discovered that the ATA had formally requested a mandatory Snaring course without any consultation with the membership and behind our backs. I shared that info on this forum and blew the whistle on it. Then I requested the draft minutes of the AGM so I could keep up with what was happening in my association. That request was denied.......if you don't go you don't know was the policy. Finally, I made a deal with Bill to trade him the minutes of an ATA/AEP meeting that I had for a copy of the draft AGM meeting. As agreed upon I emailed Bill a copy of the minutes but guess what? He reneged on the agreement that we made and refused to provide me with a copy of the AGM minutes. So, excuse me for not having any trust in the ATA whatsoever. I'll get my facts through FOIP requests to find out about what the ATA is doing behind Trapper's backs (ie. requesting mandatory snaring courses and lobbying to take over licensing). I'll also make sure that my voice is heard by contacting the Minister directly at aep.minister@gov.ab.ca

Anyone that thinks the ATA taking over the licensing and raising the costs is great for trapping in Alberta has had too much koolaid. It might be a great for the ATA but it only makes it that much harder for anyone interested in becoming a Trapper. Unlicensed trapping is already occurring due to the high cost of the mandatory Standard Trapping course and the ATA wants more mandatory courses and increased licensing fees? If you want to worry about the future of trapping in Alberta I think that you ought to worry about the ATA making it so expensive that only the rich will be able to afford to trap.