View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
So would like the non residents to go in the regular draw or would you still like the non residents to be separate ?

I'm guessing you realize whether an outfitter sells four mule deer hunts through our allocation process or the non residents draw 4 mule deee tags then book, there's still 4 non residents hunting right ?
The non-resident Canadian draw system seems to work. Non resident draw
systems work in other jurisdictions such as New Mexico elk hunting or Wyoming pronghorn hunting. The outfitters wouldn't have all of their cash tied up in allocations which may prove to be worth 25% of what they were ten years ago (like the whitetail tags around my place). If a population crashes (antelope a few years ago, Peace Country winter kill of mule deer in ~2008, CWD cull, moose getting exterminated by subsistence hunters) then SRD simply cuts back the resident, non-resident, and non-resident alien tags back by the same ratio without having to consult or compensate one specific group. I can't think of one reason, other than keeping APOS afloat, why the current system is better than a draw system for non residents and non resident aliens. I'd even be okay with the NR's and the NRA's going in the same draw pool. Good outfitters would rise to the top when all they have to offer a potential client is great service and a great hunt.

Gerry Burnie