View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 08:53 AM

Just my 2 cents.

Most calibers will kill a coyote. For me 2 things are important:
1) Fur friendly.
2) Quick humane kill.

If you shoot lots of coyotes you eventually are going to have a big holes and Bad shots. So which calibre and bullet will give me the least amount of runners and minimal fur damage. Look at what the guys that do it for a living use. Not trappers because they are not calling them In so a .22lr will do the trick for them. The guys that call them in for a living. Randy Anderson and Les Johnson are 2 of my personal Favorites. I believe the both primarily use 22-250. In more recent episodes Les had switched to a .223. When he was using the 22-250 I very seldom saw spinners or runners but when he switched to the .223 most were spinners and runners. He seems to be back in the 22.250 again. When I say a lot of coyotes I'm talking Les once did a seminar in reddeer and the week after he shot over 50 in a week in Alberta.

Personally until now I have use a .204ruger with .32 gr. Vmax and find it to be both fur friendly (100+ yards) and quick and humane, most flop over in their tracks. My last 8 have not had exit wounds. I am going to try the 40gr nosler ballistic tip This year because they group great in my Tikka T3 SS Heavy Barrel Vamint. I will be taking the .204 and 12 gauge M3500 Stoeger semi auto with Hornady Coyote nickel plated BB for the 50 yard and closer coyotes.

Personally if I wasn't such a .204 freak I would have a 22-250.

Enjoy which ever you choose 😁