View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 01:54 PM

Are you wanting to put up the fur or just kill coyotes ???

The 223 is quite efficient at putting down coyotes within it's range, and you already know that the ammo is readily available and is cheaper than the ammo for the 22-250.
I use a 22-250 and if you want to put up the fur, I have found that the Varmint Bullets do what they were designed to do and that is to destroy anything at under 200 yards... IMO.
The 22-250 designates that it will take anywhere from 22 to 250 stitches to sew up the hole.
After years of sewing and throwing.....I have settled on the BARNES TSX 53gr FB Bullet for my application......I handload all of my own and they aint cheap but they are quite fur friendly with most holes being between dime and quarter size.
On a side note I shot 2 coyotes last year with my 243 and Barnes 80 gr TTSX bullets and the hole was about the size of a Toonie.

Personally I cannot see a 223 in my future anytime soon.....BUT, that's JMHO Good Luck in whichever caliber you choose....

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel

Last edited by possum; 09-22-2017 at 02:13 PM.