View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Knee jerk reaction society..

These are the stats.

With a population of 37 million and only 249 deaths a year. That is a percentage of 0.000672%. Which is a probability of roughly 1 in 150,000 people.

The stat but I would like to know, is how many of those or with legally acquired weapons

I wish more people would challenge these notions along these lines. This is really the crux of the problem isn't it? We are giving into fears. Not that we should be complacent about gun violence, but the issue is way overblown, appealing only to emotion. I think some very incisive and unbiased questions along statistical lines at one of those Trudeau townhalls would go a long way to opening up better debate about this issue. Do you ever hear anyone concerned about gun violence retort with a question about how money is being spent in police departments to tackle gang violence and how that is measured and the status of the progress? Does anyone concerned about gun violence ever talk about the suicide rate with guns and how money is being spent to address mental health issues? Take the guns away and neither of those problems go away, they just find different outlets.

Last edited by Erik; 09-21-2019 at 11:12 AM.