Thread: Hodgdon data
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 08:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I have been following this thread closely. Your experience with it and others experience and the Speer manual doesn't match my experience and the experience of some of the posters here. I have gone all the way up to 14 grains and not seen pressure signs.

It is easy to conclude that we have different batches of Lil Gun. I wouldn't throw it out, just stick to the lower powder charges. After all, you have 700 more rounds in that pound of powder. When you buy a new pound to replace it, maybe they will have stabilised their formula by then.

I think I may also have a rifle with a tight chamber or tight bore or both.

It is one of the early production model 43 218 Bee Winchesters. As I understand it, it was bought new, by my uncle, around 1952

I believe the factory rounds were developed to work in the model 65 which would have required significantly lower pressures if I understand it right.
Yet factory rounds, bought in the 1970s showed signs of high pressure.
As in moderately flattened primers, and noticeable signs of some case stretching above the base.

Recently purchased rounds show a bit more signs of high pressure.
Nothing alarming, until I had the case separation and hard bolt lift the other day.

George Bernard Shaw