View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 08:20 PM

Well I've been chasing elk with my bow for years but have only been able to get 1 cow. When the prairie zones opened for archery without a draw i really got more serious about it. So many guys had the same idea that the elk got educated really quickly. They went silent...i haven't heard a bugle out there for probably 7 years.

With the new snow sat morning I decided to see what was moving. As I drove a lane between 2 quarters I had permission on I cut some fresh tracks in the still falling snow. I figured I had nothing to lose so grabbed my back and bow and headed in behind them. The snow was super squeaky and I knew I couldn't get too close or I'd blow them out.

I knocked an arrow and hung my bow on a branch beside me. I cow called a bit and thru in a couple bugles. Within 2-3 min right in front of me this jet black apparition appeared without a sound! Took me a min to realize that it was the head and neck of a bull elk! It was so wet it was black. I was caught without my bow in my hand!

He turned his head and I grabbed the bow...shaking so bad I couldn't get my release snapped on. Finally got snapped on and drawn. He was about 55 yrs broad side. I let it go just as he lunged ahead! Hit was way back and high!

Awe Lord let that be better than it looks I prayed! It was snowing hard enough that I thot the snow would cover any sign so I got right after it. Had blood in 2 bound so was somewhat encouraged. Just slowly followed the sign and prayed for the best.

A couple cows moved ahead of me so I just sat and watched them not wanting to spook them and run them past the bull and spook him out too. They milled around In a low spot and them trotted into the bluff of trees where I thot the bull had gone.

Took up the trail again. As I went around the end of a swale I glanced over to the low spot the cows had milled around in. There he lay! I'll never forget that pic...my bull laying there fully expired and MINE! I was mighty excited and very thankful! He went 100-120yrd. The arrow had severed the dorsal aorta.

I don't know how to post a pic but he's a nice 5x5 with cool whale tails. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by bearb8er; 09-23-2018 at 08:35 PM.