View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 04:47 PM

Valley Firearms
4 hrs ·
I am a wife, a mother, a non-firearms owner and a very concerned citizen. I watched you, Mr.Trudeau, coffee in hand while I slugged 3 kids off to school.

I heard you. I listened hard. I raised my hand, until you said you wanted to ban firearms. What!? Ban firearms? That will create a safer Canada. The majority of Canadians want this, have requested it. Really?! Have my fellow Canadians lost all common sense? I’m hard pressed to think they have. I like to believe that Canada is full of intelligent, hard working, common sense individuals. Have I been wrong all this time?

I want a safer Canada. I want less violence. I’ve been a victim of gun violence. I am a woman. A mother. I am not a firearms owner. I am the very person you spoke of this morning and I DO NOT support the ban on firearms. Want to know why? How’s the opioid crisis doing right now? Oh, I forgot for a second. Our nation is in the WORST opioid crisis in history. We take our kids to school, take our kids to the park, walk our dogs and what do we find, drug paraphernalia scattered in plain sight. So here’s a solution, let’s ban drugs, make them illegal. Canada will be safer. That’s the answer to all of this! Oh wait a second, drugs ARE illegal, they ARE banned and sadly we are still in the worst opioid crisis in history. Hmmm. So Mr.Trudeau, how does banning firearms make Canada safer?

I would argue that maybe the solution to BOTH of these issues, gun violence and our opioid crisis, along with many others in our communities, is our lack of mental health awareness and funding. Why don’t you take your 250 million and put it where it will actually make a difference. Mental Health. That’s the real issue. Isn’t it? The real issue effecting Canadians. But, I forgot, we don’t actually want to talk about Mental Health, do we? Let’s keep sweeping it under the rug and while we are at it let’s keep putting bandaids on the non- issues and funding them with Canadian Tax payer dollars.

I know! Let’s ban firearms and while we are at it let’s ban automobiles, alcohol, people’s fists, their voices oh, let’s go ahead and ban just about everything in society that could potentially cause some sort of violence. Because really?! Any person can take just about anything and make it a weapon, right? So let’s take it all away, then we can all live in a safer Canada. Oh how wonderful! I’m ecstatic now! I feel so much safer now. Makes perfect sense, doesn’t it?!

I’ll remember this the next time I step on a used needle in the park with my kids in tow or the next time an ad for Narcan comes on the television. We fixed the opioid crisis because we made drugs illegal. Wrong! We didn’t didn’t fix a damn thing and banning firearms won’t fix a damn thing either!

But, wait! What do I know. I’m just a mom. Just a woman. Just a victim of gun violence. Just a non-firearms owner. Just an individual who wants a safer Canada. Just a one vote. And Mr.Trudeau, that’s one vote you won’t get.

Credit: Lindsay Urquhart

#justonevote
#mentalhealthmatters
#mentalhealthfunding #mentalhealthawareness #fighttherealissues #choosecommonsense
#canadavotes2019