View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
My last 2 boats have been new and I will explain why.
Let’s say I’m in the market for a new 18 foot aluminum fishing boat. I go into the dealer and see that one set up the way I want it is $65,000.00. Fine, that a bit of money but I’m ok with that.
Now I go look at the used market. I see a barely used 2013 of the same make and model as the new one I looked at. Looks nice and clean. Barely used. The original owner won’t go done below $45,000. So I’m going to save $20,000 and have a like new boat. Probably not. I’ve come to find out that barely used boat in Alberta means the original owner did no maintenance or upgrades and wants to get rid of the boat boat boat before it cost him a bunch of money.
First off as soon as I get the boat depending on weather the bowmount is a 24 or 36 volt I’m going to have to replace all the batteries including the starting and house battery. That’s $1,000 right there. Then I look at the electronics. They are 6 or 7 years old. They are obsolete and can’t be upgraded. So another $3,000 for some basic units. Then I need to do some wiring for all this new electrical gear. $300 here. Then I take a look at the outboards. Original aluminum prop on the main motor. New stainless prop $800. Might as well get the right prop for the kicker $200. Now I check the main motor. Hope the guy changed the leg oil in the last 6 years. Now I check the water pump impeller. Hasn’t been changed. $400. Another $200 for the kicker. Then I look at the trailer. Dang, the bunks have dry rot from being stored in the heated garage. $300. Wheel bearings need done. $200. Need new tires $400. And all this does not include my time in which I will value at $4000 for 40 hours. And I missed a week of boating with my family. Priceless.
So the barely used 2013 boat in the end cost me maybe $10,000 less than a brand new one and I still didn’t get any warranty. A good deal? Not in my books.
I would happily buy a barely used boat. At 50% of new. Otherwise, no way.
I don't completely disagree with you, there'll always be some time and cost to getting a used boat, (new or used in my experience) set up the way you want it and 100% seaworthy, but IMHO, you're rationalizing buying new by creating a false scenario. Many of those items are not "needs" at all, they're wants, and in most cases, unlikely to be issues or unnecessary. You're also doubling up on items, you're spending money on electronics regardless of whether you buy new or used, and at least with used, you have the option of keeping that cash in your wallet if you don't need the latest and greatest. Your time is also pretty valuable lol, I don't disagree it has value, but personally, that time spent rigging and working on the boat is all part of the enjoyment for me.

The simple answer is don't buy that boat for $45,000 if it needs all that work. Keep shopping until you find a better deal where either the boat doesn't need the work/mods, or the needed mods/maintenance are factored into a much lower asking price. It can be done, just takes some time and a willingness to go on a road trip if you find the right deal.