View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 07:59 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I didn't post that I saw no value in it, I just stated that most people are choosing other cartridges these days. Just out of curiosity, I checked the P&D inventory, and the Prophet River inventory of new rifles in cartridges legal for big game in Alberta. Between the two stores, there were over 750 big game legal rifles, and 3 were chambered in 30-30. Yes 3 rifles out of 750 rifles, so about .4% of their inventory. If the 30-30 was still a big seller, why are these two retailers not stocking more rifles in 30-30?
We do not sell nearly as many as a percentage-wise as retailers likely did a few decades ago. I remember hardware stores selling a few guns and likely close to half were .30-30's.
However, there is a bit more to the reason we stock very few .30-30's now. The first one is because we simply can't get them. It has been months since Browning Canada (Canadian Winchester distributor) has had any in stock to get. A few Henry's still show up and typically sell fairly quickly. Same as Uberti and marlins.
It used to be people bought them as they couldn't afford anything else. Now there are way cheaper options in more modern chamberings. Nobody buys a Winchester 94 now because it is the cheapest rifle on the rack.
People buy them now because they like them and like lever guns in general but they are just as likely to buy a .38-55 or some other nostalgic number. Unlike the guy who bought a .30-30 in the 80's to save money, the modern buyer is not afraid to but a less popular round as he is not doing it for economic reasons anyway.
We still sell a lot of .30-30 ammunition, but again, likely not nearly the percentage of stores years ago
so, I do agree with your hypothesis on sales , there is a bit more to the story than just waning popularity.