Thread: Ford or Dodge?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
Actually you may be on to something with the speed. I was driving about 105 and the rpms in 8th were super low. Not enough power at 1500 to hold 8th against the wind. If I had gone faster and got the motor up into a meatier part of the rev range maybe it would have done better. This would of course mean speeding so it’s not something I’m willing to do.
Ya rpm are super low at 105 km/h, fighting the wind you would likely be happier dropping it into 7 first and then see if you need to go to 6th.

The 8 speed has long legs and lots of versatility.

I have no doubt if that was your highway cruise speed typical...you'd be wasting a couple gears lol.

Maybe check out a honda ridgeline since you said you weren't going to tow more than a couple thousand (it's rated to 5000). Right now it's the mileage king in the mid-size/half ton market besides the baby duramax in the colorado/canyon twins and other diesel options. On fuelly.com the 2013 and up ram pentastar 8 spd's are running around mid to high 12 liters per hundred (my typical summer city mileage) and the new ridgelines are running about 11.5 liters per hundred combined. A friend with one who drives a little easier like you routinely see's his highway trips around 8.9 etc. in his new style ridgeline, through the mountains etc. It's also ranked the most comfortable best riding truck period and least amount of driver fatigue. I do love the ridgeline, if it fits your needs it really is the machine to have imo. I would have a really hard time deciding between my truck and the ridgeline if shopping now, it was easy in 2014, the ridgeline needed the updates it has now!

The older ridgelines had crap fuel economy for a lighter v6 midsize, my pentastar 8 spd can beat the last generation ridgelines and also 4.0l tacoma's no problems in both city and highway mileage (i haven't checked the new tacoma's 3.5l mileage to see if i still whoop them but wouldn't be surprised if i did?)

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-23-2018 at 12:07 PM.