View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Kurt I feel for ya man but you gotta let it go. We've heard this story several times. That bullet didn't go where it needed to. Maybe you were off, or maybe bullets do weird stuff sometimes and this was your time for bad luck. Where exactly it went and why is lost but it hardly represents Barnes performance. Shoot them in the ribs and there is a much better chance of a successful recovery. If they stand up, shoot till they don't. If they don't fall, chase em down and don't let them get out of site (all lessons I've learned the hard way as well). The bullet was only part of that story and I think you gotta focus on what you can learn from the other parts.

Now, as to the original question...no for gut shots and yes for everywhere else. More destroyed tissue means a slower target and more blood loss. Would a 225gr ttsx have penetrated better? Probably. Would it have killed that deer? Who knows. can you shoot as well with more recoil? Most can't. I don't even pretend that I want to shoot anything above 308 win.

As far as the ballistic tips, at 400 its going slow and you aren't gonna get the frag and shock effect. I doubt it would have done any better.
Ha!

I didn't want to bring up the story again, I hate talking about it as much as you hate hearing about it, but I'm sure buck culler never heard it.

I know better than not to stop shooting until it's dead, but in all honesty I did think it was dead until it was too late. I guess you had to be there. Still kicking myself.

I'm not sure what velocity the bullet was traveling but I'm sure at that distance it was as fast or faster than what a 308 would have been doing at 200yds.

The shot was a broadside hit and did bust the front left shoulder, not a clear rib shot but definitely should have found them.

I agree that the bullet is only part of the equation, I just don't know how big of a roll it played compared to caliber, cartridge, and shot placement. The bullet look like it hit exactly where I was aiming, judging from how the deer was struggling to walk. My personal thought on this particular situation is that the bullet played a big roll in the outcome.

Again I'm not sure of the velocity of a ballistic tip at 400yds out of a 300mag but I think it's still traveling within the performance rating of a ballistic tip.