View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 05:05 PM

Kurt I feel for ya man but you gotta let it go. We've heard this story several times. That bullet didn't go where it needed to. Maybe you were off, or maybe bullets do weird stuff sometimes and this was your time for bad luck. Where exactly it went and why is lost but it hardly represents Barnes performance. Shoot them in the ribs and there is a much better chance of a successful recovery. If they stand up, shoot till they don't. If they don't fall, chase em down and don't let them get out of site (all lessons I've learned the hard way as well). The bullet was only part of that story and I think you gotta focus on what you can learn from the other parts.

Now, as to the original question...no for gut shots and yes for everywhere else. More destroyed tissue means a slower target and more blood loss. Would a 225gr ttsx have penetrated better? Probably. Would it have killed that deer? Who knows. can you shoot as well with more recoil? Most can't. I don't even pretend that I want to shoot anything above 308 win.

As far as the ballistic tips, at 400 its going slow and you aren't gonna get the frag and shock effect. I doubt it would have done any better.