View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
That combination should have killed the deer no problem.
Is it a possibility you maybe pulled the shot and hit it marginally.

I use 150 gr TTSX in my 30-06 and shot a wildebeest through one shoulder through the spine then through the other shoulder and lodged in the hide on the other side that thing hit the dirt hard.

Was it a real far shot?
Because for optimal performance you want to keep the TTSX above 2000 fps

Barnes TTSX retains weight very well.
The shot was 398yds according to my rangefinder.

This is what I know. Immediately after the shot the deer dropped and never twitch for about 10min. Then the deer stood up and tried to take off doing a 20' nose plow through the field before getting up again and would hobble for about 20yds then stop for a minute or two, then hobble a bit further and stop again. There was a couple reasons for not doing a follow up shot. First off, by the way the deer was acting it didn't seem like he would make it much longer, and secondly it was now past legal shooting time so I was sure he would be dead and it wasn't worth the possibile problems that could arise if someone heard a shot 10-15min after legal shooting time. When I returned the next morning I discovered the deer had made its way across the athabasca river, the field he was in was on the banks of the river and the river was mostly frozen over, but not frozen enough for me to cross. I ended up driving for 2 hours to make it to the other side of the river, then hiking the banks for at least another 3 before I cut his tracks. Looking at his beds it was clear he was bleeding from his left shoulder and following his tracks I could see his urin was almost straight blood. Tracked him for 2 days until a snowstorm covered all his tracks. Was really close on day two, the snow in his bed was melted enough to make snowballs in -15 weather.

I've made farther shots with what some would consider lesser bullets, in smaller calibers and had better results.