View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloken View Post
Thanks for the tips guys.

As for rods - would a 4wt be appropriate for some of the higher reaches of the mountain creeks/streams?

I feel like I should have got a 5 instead of 6 after moving here, especially given that I have a 7
I say the ideal quiver for Alberta is a 4wt, 6wt, and 8wt.

You want bigger fish, take that 7wt rod and start swinging streamers in the Bow. With the way the Bow river has been fishing, a 20" brown is completely possible.

With a floating line and 9' leader, cast straight out perpendicular to the current. Do a couple upstream mends while dead drifting (this will allow the fly to sink), then do a traditional swing.

In the mornings and evenings, take the 6wt and look for rising fish on the Bow. In a single day, I will deep nymph, toss streamers, and target rising fish. A 6wt can do it all.

For how many fish are in the Bow, it is a challenging river to fish. Keep at it though. Swinging streamers is relatively easy, and probably the best way to hook up with big fish.

A 4wt is great for mountain streams. I will also use it on the Bow river when casting ridiculously teeny flies.