View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
LOL......far better team with the exception of the first 20 minutes they were dominated by a superior team. After playing some great games to get to the final their play was embarrassing sometime. A score of 4-1 (don't really count the free goal) and it was the refs fault, that is hilarious.
Clearly you are a casual soccer fan or a Frenchman.

The bottom line is we don't agree. I'm just giving you my opinion. Croatia had twice as many shots (14-7) and twice the possession (66% to 34%) but in the end they should have converted more opportunities - which they didn't. They didn't hit the target enough and didn't do enough - but I thought they were the better team and controlled the game until they were forced to press because of the score line. But that's partially their own fault too.

The fact that the ref made two very controversial calls - both resulting in French goals resulting in Croatia having to open up the game and make some risky presses that certainly contributed to letting France counter attack on the open wing.

The handball is a tough one. No intention, but it was outside the shadow of the body, ball to hand, yet did not result in an imminent opportunity. Overall no matter which way the ref made that call it would have been controversial.

The Griezman free kick was a dive - his feet were stuck in the pitch and he was going down (see replay) before the Croatian defender even made contact with him.

No skin off my behind anyways. France was supposed to win. That's the story line already in print.

Just disgusted how given any opportunity the refs always seem to rule in favour of the bigger market.

Nevertheless that was a great world cup.