View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Without details, it is like asking how much is it to buy a car. SEER has nothing to do with quality. It would be like saying a Corolla is a nicer car than a Lexis because it gets better gas mileage.

IIRC Reliance uses mostly contractor grade Goodman. Unless there is some electrical, ducting issues or you are 100 miles out of town, your quote is a little high but not bad. Goodman uses both types of compressors. If you stepped up to a scroll at that price it is a pretty good deal.

Having said that, their 500 complaints at the BBB would still turn me away. It looks like a crap shoot as to whether it will be installed right and that is the most important thing. It also looks like there is little likelihood they will be helpful if there are problems.

The other quote seems high but again, if there is issues, that can significantly add to the price. Some issues, like adding duct work, costs now but saves you money over time. If the lower pricing does not include needed upgrades, then you will actually end up paying more over time.

You also make no mention as to brand or model. Top end brands demand more money generally because they are better units. In this day and age, you don't get a top rating without doing a lot of things right. Trane/American Standard for example receives the top grade according to customer reviews by Consumer Reports, Goodman is at the other end of the spectrum.

You also don't mention warranty which can swing the price significantly.

IMO a quality scroll compressor unit, installed with permits should come in between your 3800 number and 4500 depending on brand. Add a long run of 220, an extra panel or a bunch of ducting and your 5800 number might be a steal.
Both quoted same units same options as well as in the same house so long electrical runs and change duct work is out of the equation. Unit will be installed other side of electrical wall right behind the panel and the furnace is only 10 feet away from same wall, no ceiling in the furnace room. Condensate pump included.

Rob's quote is $2,000 more ! I guess they use gold wire as well as gold piping.

I just called Reliance and they will be out tomorrow afternoon to install the unit including gst and a cover for $3997.00 . Goodman 2 ton 16 seer scroll type.

Will let you all know if any problems arise as well as there workmanship and professionalism.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.