View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
10 is a reasonable budget as long as the existing duct work is in good and serviceable condition and there is not a lot of extra electrical to be done.

In circumstances of a major HVAC purchase people are often consumed with the thought of getting ripped off. In my experience, there is more danger in paying too little than paying too much. Contractors will find a way to fit into your budget even if your budget is unrealistic. They install low grade product, avoid work that should be done but not required by code or don't even meet code requirements by not getting permits and inspections.

Remember, you are only buying one system, not 100. If you pay a little more going with a contractor with a long track record of quality work it will be money well spent. Reputable contractors take the time to do a thorough site evaluation, install quality product and employ experienced tradesmen. Most importantly, they stand behind their work and are there for you in the future. Even the best equipment can give problems and all require qualified maintenance.

Anyway, I like 2 stage variable speed furnaces and ACs of at least 15 SEER with scroll type compressors. There are many good brands and as mentioned the install is the most important thing.

All things being equal I would choose a York/Coleman TM9V matched up with a York/Coleman CC7 AC. The 10 year extended P&L warranty is inexpensive from the parent company Johnson Controls, in fact we offer it at no charge.

My second choice would be a Trane S9V2 matched up with an XLi AC. This choice would likely blow your budget but it is good stuff. The extended warranty is outrageously priced but would be nice to have.
I WISH I could charge 10k for a system like that... If we charged much more than 8k for a TM9V and an upgraded YCG condenser we wouldn't get the job. Calgary is very competitive...

It really depends where you are in the province. Prices are good in some parts and in other places it's a lot tighter.

A 'standard' unit here will run in the $3k range while an upgraded unit is closer to $4k. Furnace replacements are comparable to those numbers...