View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Welcome to the world of spring snow goose hunting!!!

First waves of birds typically adult breeders with sex on their mind following the snow line as they push forward to the nesting grounds... by the time birds get back here in the spring, they have already fueled up on corn and rice in the states, so they don't need to stick around long to fuel up.
Abundance of sheetwater means they can roost on same field or close to the feed,,, often all they want is a drink, a nap and a quick bite and they flock off north.

So as you are observing what works in the fall, isn't necessarily going to work in the spring. Best success is trying to be one step ahead rather than one step behind,,,, set up and run traffic in places likely to be seen by geese that might want a quick drink or bite. Stateside,,, lots of guys hunt sheet water edges with their spreads in pastures and fields and wait for the birds to come to them.

The non breeders,,, juvies and teenagers (geese typically start breeding at 2- 4 years of age) bring up the rear and are not in the same hurry,,,, field conditions are a bit more favourable later on in the spring as well , drier with less sheetwater and then you can start hunting them like fall birds with a bit more success.

You also have to remember that these geese have had 8 months of gunning pressure by the time they get back here. That don't make them any easier!!!
My gawd, i could definitely sit and crush a cold one with you pike. A more corrent post than this has never been posted. Well said sir