View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
On the other hand everyone would benefit from being taught the basics. I'd like to see the course taught and paid for by the Gov't for a few different reasons.
You may be onto something there, Nube. Awhile back I checked what other provinces were doing wrt mandatory basic trapping courses and if they even had them. Alberta is by far the highest costing training of all the provinces (BC is a close second except they charge $399 but $299 for youth).

The 17 hour mandatory course in New Brunswick is conducted by Environmental and Resource Development and here are the costs for attending it:

Fees
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).

Fee Description Rate in $

Course Fee (10-16 years) 40.00
Course Fee (17 years and older) 65.00
Trapper Education Manual 10.00

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/se...ml#serviceFees

I think that their fees are very reasonable and they aren't exclusionary to people who can't afford a $399 course. These are the people that could actually use the extra income from trapping and the ones most desirable to attract IMO, as opposed to trappers that are okay with operating at a loss. If raising the trapping standard is the main objective, why is it so important that the courses generate huge amounts of revenue......the same as what private schools are charging?