View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasPed View Post
...but I'm going to ask it anyhow.

In our community we have a storm pond that has been "invaded" by goldfish. Tens of thousands of 2-3 inch things. And while I wouldn't go so far as to call them an eyesore, they are a non-native ecological risk (in the case of escapement).

As I was walking by one day, it occurred to me that some predation might be in order. I think you know where I'm going.

But honestly, what's the worst that could happen? Here's my scenarios (worst to best): 1) The perch don't establish themselves and the goldfish numbers maintain (status quo). 2) Next worst would be the perch wipe out the goldfish and stunt themselves out. But the ecological risk of thousands of 5 inch perch vs. tens of thousands of goldfish is still better, no? 3) By some miracle a balance of perch vs. goldfish numbers is achieved whereby the ecological risk of the goldfish is significantly lessened, while a certain recreational value from the perch is attained.

Ok, I know it's a harebrained idea, but on the face of it, are there any real downsides to trying?

Need a few pike in there to really clean it up lol