View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 07:44 AM

First off I admit I have not had any luck figuring out these white geese. In the fall we ussually do alright on the Canada's and Specks. So the spring hunt has always peaked my interest , but once again I'm quite busy at work this time of year, this early spring has farmers chomping the bit 3 weeks before norm.
Well scouting is not a problem when the buggers are landing across the road from where you live, getting them to co operate for a shoot well that's another story.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461072732.921138.jpg
So even though I had a job booked for last Sunday my nephew and I decided to give these guys a go, at 4:15 AM we were out setting up our decoys.
Now I only have 2 dozen FA snows, and one dozen flambeau magnum snows, 2 dozen silo socks , and then we thru out some white rags aswell.
We made a small willow blind right in the edge if the slough where they were landing the night before and settled in.
Right around 6:30 the first flock come in from the North low over the trees on the fence line ( we had a perfect South wind at 25 k) then promptly flared. Something with our setup was wrong , so flock after flock came in then flared at about 70 yrds, flew over us high then went to the next quater to south .

Well we decided to get out of the blind and head for the fence line and trees as most were coming over the trees at 40-50 yrds.
We managed to ambush 5 this way between us , not ideal but at least we were not skunked. And my ol Retreiver Ruger needed the exercise as a winter of moose trimmings and bones had him porking up.
It was a gorgeous morning just to be out , there are much worse ways then to spend a morning with a good buddy and your mutt.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461073472.643170.jpg