View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM

I would be in favor of some measure that would improve the sheephunting experiance through more mature rams. Seems each year I can find lots of rams that are close to legal, but VERY few that meet the chriteria.

I'm not sure that a draw is the answer either. As other posters have said, I really like the oppertunity to hunt year after year if I fail to kill one. I would however be willing to sit out 2 or 3 years after killing a sheep. I think that a longer wait after harvesting a ram might be a reasonable solution.

As for hunters killing short rams...
I don't think that this problem has any easy solutions. Possibly some education to perspective sheep hunters as well as increased penalties would have some positive effect. For me, it is simply not worth the risk to squeeze the trigger on a sheep that is anywhere close to boarder line. I suspect that many hunters take this gamble and for some it pays off for them with a sheep that is marginaly legal. In my case I think of the SHAME of killing a short ram far more then I think of the other concequences.

Tk
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-