View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Gone Hunting

About 3 years ago i swapped from the standard 20 30 40 50 60 70, and went to 25 35 45 55 65. The draw back that i found was that i had to completely change my way of thinking in fast situations, but it has been a breeze, a slow breeze at first mind you!!! The gain is that you shoot the same range with one less pin. Its awesome, less pins to muck around with, and the job gets easier come time to get nasty. You have to bracket pins for mid ranges no matter the pin set up anyways, but when faced with a 70 yard target and your settling out with the 65, you merely need to have practiced and need to know your hold over with that pin is to compensate the additional 5 yards. All in all, it works awesome for me, and i will not be going back. Sh*tty thing is that i still range estimate using the old 20 30 40 etc etc when i am not able to use the range finder. It could get confusing for you at first but if you try it, it could be just right for ya, you never know..

edit, it is a BEOTCH when your shooting with other guys though...Every one else shoots standard pin set ups, so you always end up practicing bracketing the entire night. All good though, cause you need to shoot mid ranges lots too. You will get to use your pins though, dont fret.... just might have to wait till your alone in the yard to use em is all!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er