View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Seems like a lot of extra work hanging ram along fence. I just lean against barbed wire or post depending on location of trail. Set 21 snares on fence line running thru a small coulee between bedding area and food source. Came back next morning found 18 coyotes waiting for me. Try to keep it simple.
Thanks for the input TrapperMike. I don't make a lot of fence sets but I do have one area where I should be. It's an old broken down sagging fence which runs parallel to the bush I bait. I set half a dozen Rams in it last year early in the year and they just kept going around them. There's not much grass or brush on it especially after it gets some snow drifted in it. It's in such rough shape they can cross wherever they want. It's along a ridge between two fields so that may be increasing the visibility of the snares since they are looking up at the fence when approaching it from either side. I did manage to catch one in those sets last year. I ignored it this year thinking I would catch them prowling around the bait.

I did set one along the other fence line this year where they were crossing but I set it along the fence not in it. I caught 3 in that set but the drifting snow has changed their trail to a wide open corner about a hundred yards away.

Every year I make things simpler and it definitely helps. I need to change my anchor cable setup to have a snap or clip so I'm not standing there threading the ram through a loop of cable. It would be really handy when I just want to move the ram somewhere nearby and I wouldn't have to mess up the snare and support.