View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Banned

Default Sauerbraten

My wife is making a couple of sauerbraten deer sirloin roasts and people have asked me about the recipe in the past. It's pretty easy to make and so delicious! My wife gets the sauerbraten spices and gravy mix from Germany so finding the exact same ones in Canada could be a bit of a challenge. It's well worth having a look and finding them though.

A bottle or two of cheap red wine
Ostmann Sauerbraten Gewurz (These are the spices)
Knorr Classic Roast Gravy Mix "Hunter"
One medium sized cooking onion

Place a roast in a bowl and cover it with sauerbraten spices. Add a medium sized cooking onion sliced thick. Boil enough red wine and add it to cover the roast in the bowl. Drink any wine left in the bottle. Cover the bowl and let the roast marinade for two or three days in the fridge. Your home should smell fantastic at this point.

After a couple or 3 days remove the roast from the bowl and wash off the spices. Brown the meat in a frying pan and place it in a slow cooker. Strain the wine to remove all of the spices and onion slices. Mix the gravy mix into the wine and pour it into the slow cooker with the roast. Cook it for 4 hours on high. Remove the roast and thicken the gravy with flour as required.

We absolutely love doing our wild game roasts this way and for me it's a real treat! The meat stays nice and moist and the flavour is incredible! Guten appetit.