View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I don't agree that home builder's need to have any sort of qualification in order to operate their business. 99% of them don't even do any of the actual construction themselves - everything is contracted out. Most home builders are nothing more than project managers who add a markup to everything that everyone else does for them. Buyer beware is all we need, not more legislation.

I also think it is a basic human right to be able to provide shelter for yourself and your family. But with the amount of government interference this is getting difficult in many places around the world. And don't even get me started on the building code. Some code requirements are only in there because a particular industry or interest group lobbied and won. Guess what this does to the cost and complexity of construction?
You are mostly correct in your first paragraph. Most builders are developers. They go in and buy up serviced lots in a subdivision. They usually(but not always) have a Superintendent who usually(but not always) has a trade certificate in construction. He or she is responsible to over see material delivery, schedule and quality of work on multiple houses at the same time. The labor force he or she is supervising are usually piece work contractors that get paid a unit rate for framing, roofing, concrete, drywall etc. These contractors generally (but not always) have no technical or equivalent construction background. They do have various degrees of on hands experience. Some are very good at what they do, some aren't. They make money by completing the work in the shortest time possible and moving to the next house. the checks and balances are all put on the shoulders of one person the developer may or may not have hired to oversee the building of this home. Quality control is a slippery slope in construction. As soon as it starts to cost the developer too much money, the person pointing out the mistakes sometimes gets fired and problems hidden. I've had this happen to me. I believe the inspection process of residential housing to be very poor for the most part. This is the responsibility of the municipality or city. In commercial and institutional construction, inspections are made regularly by all the consultants hired by the owner, and material testing is paramount to turning over a quality building, in other words it's all third party testing and very thorough.

As far as building code goes, yes there are a lot of codes brought about by lobbying. the biggest lobbying group is insurance companies, because it is the insurance rider during construction and homeowner insurance afterward that foots the bill for deficient work once the warranty is up.