View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I agree 100%, however a red seal certificate is the only industry standard that I know of that is supposed to represent competency. Which reinforces my point, the shoddy ones need to get thinned out and there needs to be real repercussions for delivering substandard work. If industry had the wherewithal to manage it's own people and pull the reds seals on these duds, then the government wouldn't be shoving legislation down our throats. That will never happen with carpentry as long as it's a non protected trade. For the people out there that don't have a ticket but would like to get one, you can still apply to challenge the written and practical equivalent which still gives you a red seal. I believe you need 8000 qualified hours of practical field experience to do this. This is what I did 18 years ago when I had over 12,000 hours of qualified field work. The difference between me having a ticket and not is very apparent. Instead of being a Superintendent running and working on projects valued up to 1.4 Billion, I would be considered an experienced laborer. I don't think I need to spell it out any clearer.
I agree.

Competent inspectors would help. Too many mistakes and your business is shut down.