View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 PM

No, sorry, I don't have pics of "disguised snare sets". What I can tell you though is that it helps huge to set snares specifically where coyotes trails are pushing through light cover. For example, anytime a coyote pushes through light grass, rose bushes, etc. is a dynamite spot. I will often follow along a coyote trail for a ways to find spot such as this. They are expecting to feel something rubbing against their chest/shoulders, so they are likely to continue tightening the snare, plus the grass/twigs help to disguise them seeing the snare. With this being said, you have to dye the snare a preferably brownish black colour.
Another spot that works well is when coyotes have to go down a steep decline (i.e. coming down onto a creek or river). I seemed to have better success when setting on these declines, common sense saying that they be coming downward at a faster pace, less likely to notice the snare (never seen one come into a set from a below, so not sure how this works).
Sets on fences work well, and I don't think it is necessary to dye the snare, since they are expecting the metal colour.
NEVER walk across a coyote trail you are going to set on. If you have to,
jump over it.
And sometimes, regardless of how great your snare set is, that darn coyote will back out!