View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
What part of the discussion on linear disturbances on pages 30-36 do you find not scientifically valid? I looked and read some of the citations, and from my unscientific knowledge, they seem to have a lot of credibility.

Maybe you can tell me what parts in those pages are of factual concern.
It is fraught with opinion. How about this one "Grizzly bears, wolverines, bighorn sheep, and bull trout are especially vulnerable to the effects of new access and inadequate regulations. If excess harvest of fish remains chronic, this can give rise to public demand for artificial stocking to compensate for unsustainable harvest ... at the further expense of native trout populations and ecosystem integrity." I don't see the citation to the scientific study that concludes there are inadequate regulations. Which citation did you check that showed the cause and effect relationship cited for the demand for artificial stocking?

Did they really do a study to find that an increase in high speed roadways led to an increase in vehicle/animal collisions?

The bias of opinion in those pages is blatant. It is patently obvious that anytime there is an interaction of humans and animals there will be a give and take relationship. But this is not about finding that balance of give and take, it is a strongly one sided relationship. Sure highways cause the occasional death of an animal. Within 5 miles either way of my house vehicles will kill 20 plus deer every year and usually a moose or two. Certainly far more than hunting mortality in the immediate area will ever be. Is anyone going to talk about shutting down the highway for the sake of the deer? Not a chance. They did put up the deer crossing signs, but they forgot to install the buttons for the deer to push to activate the flashing lights...but lord knows, even with those installed some motorists are capable of running over pedestrians so that probably isn't an issue.

Banning access is not the answer. Generalizing and extrapolating problems is not the answer. Bias and fear mongering is not the answer - but it is the weapon of choice for the animals over humans crowd because illogical emotional responses are easier to foster in the unknowing masses.