View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 PM

Default Apple Bacon Stuffed Venison Loin

I made this tonight and it was REALLY good! So good, I thought I would share. It did not sound appealing to me, at all, as the idea of putting apples in together with meat, seems all wrong. But it appealed to my wife, so I thought I would try it for her sake. Glad I did. Wish more of my kids were gone for supper tonight, as I could have eaten alot more. I would feel bad for my oldest son missing out, but it was just too good for me to feel guilty. Next time I need to add another +400g loin. Hope you enjoy it too.

Apple Bacon Stuffed Venison Loin

INGREDIENTS
800g venison loin (I used 2 - 400g deer loins from our Magrath quota hunt)
1 medium or large apple, chopped
8 strips of bacon, cut into ½ " sections
2 cloves of garlic (I omitted this as we don’t like garlic)
½ onion, diced
1 lg. jalapeno pepper chopped fine (I used 3 pickled Peperoncini peppers)
¾ c. spinach, chopped fine
1 tbsp. brown sugar
½ c. cheddar, cut into ¼ " cubes
a few dashes of onion salt
coarse salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS
Start in the center of the loin with a sharp knife and filet open the loin to about ½ inch thickness. Pound or roll to an even thickness. Season with a dash of salt, pepper, and onion salt. Allow the loin to set and absorb flavors while you prepare the stuffing mixture.

To make the stuffing mixture, fry the bacon in a large pan until lightly brown. Leave a little grease in the pan, with the bacon. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper to pan and stir fry until the onion softens. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Then add apple and spinach, stir. Add the brown sugar to the pan and continue to fry until the apples and spinach soften and the sugar caramelizes.

Pour the mixture from the frying pan to a large mixing bowl. Cool slightly. Add the cheese cubes and stir. Then spoon the mixture into the center of the filet. Roll the filet shut, using toothpicks or butcher twine to secure the filet. Sear in a hot, lightly greased pan and finish in oven preheated to 450 degrees until medium to medium rare (20 – 22 minutes). Rest under foil for 5 minutes. Slice into 1 inch "wheels" and enjoy!

Served 5, but everyone was looking for more.