Thread: Muir Lake
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector6600 View Post
I went out three evenings last week. lots of surface activity . not jumping but creating swols . see an occasional dorsal fin.

not a single bite on my mepps spinner , or anything else I tossed out there. Tried various speeds and various depths. ( I dont have fly fishing gear )

#skunked@muir
Go to a fly fishing store.

Buy balanced leeches size 10, 8, 6.

Black. I like a little tail sparkle.

Tungsten bead

Use 10-12 pound fluorocarbon.

Buy a bobber. Hang the fly 2-12 feet below the bobber. Cast and don’t feel in…just keep line tight with the occasional twitch.

Alternatively… pick up some leech steamers. Troll slow then go slower. Very slow. Twitch a little. If fish are on the surface…don’t use split shot or weighted hooks. If you can’t see movement use a weighted fly to start. Then add a split shot until you find the fish are start catching weeds… then reduce weight or speed up trolling.

Fish where the fish are rolling. If you see them at the surface… start with 2 feet below the bobber.

Oh ya and when it comes to bobbers. Use the smallest one you can. These people casting beach balls is ridiculous. They can scare fish and you can see the bite

Bites will look like your bobber wiggling to going under. Best to set the hook on any “different” bobber movement.

Don’t be shy. You can always cast again.

My $0.02.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin